In this email:
- Why I'm back in CA
- My fabulous friday frolicking in NY (woo alliteration)
- The tales of my ipod
- Reading list update
- The question(s) for you to answer in your comments/emails to me
Er, what? Yeah, I know. After talking to the career center people I had to make a lot of phone calls to find new stuff to do, and it was the places in CA that responded first.
Also, my father has busted his knee and my tendon started bothering me again (like I said before, it's the summer of leg ailments) so being in CA lets me get more medical care for my left ankle and it means I can do things like schedule appointments, cook, and drive for my father (he is quite awful at housekeeping, even more so than I am) while my mother and sister are in the motherland. It also gives me a chance to figure out some stuff that I can't do if I'm not in SJ for a long period of time.
What am I doing in CA? I'm working for the new South Asian Heart Center that they opened in Mountain View. Had my first day at work today, a real 9-5 job and had no problem with IDs. I'll be calling people, setting up appointments, screening them for heart risk factors and doing case follow up with them later. In addition I think I'll be helping some other people there plan a physician's conference and also poke around a clinic next door.
I'll also be trying to get more hours in with my diabetes job and do some anthro stuff for Prof. Gewertz too, I think she said I could do some of it online. It'll be disappointing not to be at Amherst for that though.
I am sort of sad I won't have a chance to be at Amherst again this summer. I wanted to spend time on campus before going abroad, but looks like that won't happen. I'm also sorry I didn't have a chance to say a real goodbye to some people the last time I visited because I thought I'd be coming back again.
But much love to everyone I did see, at Amherst and in NY. And I'm sorry to everyone I didn't have a chance to see (Sarah, Jackie, and Inessa especially).
I did have a fun time at Brooke's though (Brooke you are amazing)!
On Friday I went into the city to have some fun. I wandered the natural history museum, met up with Hao and had lunch at a Turkish restaurant (my first Turkish food, it was delicious) and then wandered the Met. Also sampled some amazing lemon curd cheesecake at the Met.
After that, I met up with Brooke and her grandmother for dinner at this amazing Italian restaurant called Insieme. It was really delicious and the portions were perfect. After the courses, we also had dessert. Who knew that basil gelato could be that good?
After dinner we went and saw Xanadu, the newest hit musical on Broadway and it was hysterical. If you are in or around NY, go see it! It was really funny and very very entertaining. We also found the male lead to be quite attractive, and the female lead was pretty as well.
The next morning after going to the beach, Brooke drove me to the airport and I hopped on a flight. On the flight, my ipod promptly broke leaving me to sit for 6.5 hours, then another 1.5 hours listening to crying babies and snoring businessmen. For some weird reason, I sat across from babies both flights.
I had a book of NYT crossword puzzles though, so all was well.
The next day I took the ipod to the apple store to get it fixed where it promptly started working again. I think the people at the store thought I was a total moron.
So my new internship is going well, besides the fact that I keep getting asked what year of high school I'm in ...grrr. Also the new series of "so, is Amherst a decent school?" questions....
Now armed with a car, a license, and insurance I headed to the library. The book(s) I am currently reading are: Reading Lolita in Tehran, Attack, and Eating Drinking and Overthinking.
I have total book ADD (to borrow a phrase from Brooke) and have to be reading multiple books at the same time.
Attack is cool, a fiction novel about suicide bombers in Israel, it got great NYT reviews and I randomly picked it up at Border's a few weeks ago.
I checked out Eating Drinking and Overthinking yesterday. It is interesting so far, it examines women and why stress/being upset/etc forces us into self-evaluative coping and then eating badly, drinking too much, and overthinking. It should be a good read.
So now I end this email....and must ask a question or two for you to answer (I've decided that I'm going to keep ending like this)
QUESTION ONE: Do I really look like I'm in high school? Like, really?
QUESTION TWO: What is your favorite piece of art and why (inspired by the Met visit, can be by someone famous or just a random thing you saw and liked)
Hope you are all doing well too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment