Thursday, August 9, 2007

Entertaining stories :)

As I promised, amusing stories from the job.

The other day, I had to call a patient (or participant as the center calls them) to do an HRA, or a heart health risk assessment. The HRA is basically where I ask them a lot of questions about their family medical history, their past medical history, their diet, exercise, stress levels, etc. All the stuff affecting someone's chance of getting heart disease.

Normally people are very nice about answering questions but occasionally you get people who are real pieces of work and the other day, I got the guy who trumped all other difficult patients.

So I start asking him for his contact info, he tells me he never gives out his house number to anyone, not even his friends. So I put that down on his chart, then move on to the medical stuff. At each point he asks me how this relates to heart health and risks and I explain each question to him. After a few more questions he asks me if the center is going to give his info out to the FBI because apparently no one else would have such thorough questions (errrr....).

Then he goes on to refuse to tell me how many siblings he has. He apparently, despite being morbidly obese, doesn't need a primary care physician because "he rarely ever gets sick", has no idea what he eats "because he eats what he feels like eating, whenever, because he doesn't care", and then when I asked him if he smoked he says he used to. I ask him when he quit, he says he never quit but he still smokes whenever he feels like it. Yet apparently, he does not currently smoke.


THE BEST PART was when I asked him how content he'd say he is (on a scale of 1-5, 1 lowest) and he yells, "I am not content, I have never been content, and I WILL NEVER BE CONTENT"...


what a weirdo.


In other news I also got the heel of my shoe caught on the cuff of my pants and almost fell on the floor flat on my face in front of my boss and a client from AstraZeneca. The day after I dropped the keys to the cabinet with the laptops behind another cabinet and had to sprawl out on the floor to reach behind the cabinet to fish them out. Of course the executive director walks in to see me like that.....Lovely.

What else...what else....mom and sister come back in a few days. Jealous I'm not going back to Amherst soon, am getting bored here.

I'll save the other amusing stories for a later date.

No comments: